A creative and engaging community space

Weekly art classes for kids and teens, drop-in sessions, birthday parties, game nights and adult collaborations.

Visit our website

Northport community quick to display generosity after Main Street house fire

Village by: Chrissy Ruggeri, December 27, 2021

Last week, a fire destroyed the home at 145 Main Street in Northport Village, just behind well-known store Heartichoke. Three adults and one dog lived in the home, which consisted of two apartments. All occupants escaped unharmed, thanks to the quick actions of a passerby who noticed flames on the porch and began pounding on the door to wake the residents and get them out, according to reports by community members.

The three survivors fled the fire in just their pajamas, losing everything inside the building. Just hours after the flames went out, the community sprang into action. Amy Connor, a Main Street resident whose sons were on the scene as volunteer firefighters, began collecting clothes for the residents – two men and one woman – and set up a GoFundMe page to help them get back on their feet. In five days, the community donated over $16,000 to the victims, money that will be split evenly among the two families living in the home.

Amy wrote in a Facebook post earlier today, “This week I got to experience a true Christmas and it made me proud to be from Northport.” She said that within two days, she collected enough clothing and food for the residents, adding that there were hundreds of dollars in gift cards donated as well, for everything from clothes to food.

The GoFundMe campaign will close on New Year’s Day and the money will be distributed to the residents, but, Amy said, “the memory of this generosity I witnessed from this community will stay with me always.”